Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lobster Blanket


I made this way back when my sewing machine wasn't working because I was dying for lack of things to make.. It's really easy, just two pieces of fleece flat against each other, then with fringe cut and knotted together.

On the upside, the only thing that was wrong with my sewing machine was that I hadn't oiled it in 3 years... So that's solved, and now I have a little bit of oil in my sewing desk for use as needed.

On the downside, I made a quilt for my brother for Christmas, but didn't manage to get any photos of it before I had given it to him and gone back to Chicago. So I just have to talk about it. On the whole, I tried to use cooler, darker colors, like browns and blues, to keep it from looking to girly, or too much like something he wouldn't want to use. The design on the topside was simple, rows of boxes, with long columns running the width of the quilt between them. I still don't know much formally about quilting, everything tends to be as-I-think-it-up, so I probably won't get to more complicated designs for a while. On the inside I just used a layer of fleece. And on the backside I used this very art-deco fabric that I inherited A LOT of (more of that later, you'll probably see it in the next post).

No comments: