Sunday, August 10, 2014

Embroidered Dragon #2


















Another dragon drawn by NSNC, interpreted by me. I'm not totally sure I want to continue doing flame like this, but it works alright for this one. It's too oddly shaped to really satin stitch particularly well, and I do want to incorporate a couple shades of red and orange (there are multiple colors here, though it's hard to tell with my camera...). I could attach fabric the way I did with the wings, but I don't really want to do that, I want it to look a little more organic, and not so defined and flat. I do like the way the multi-colored thread worked out for the line along the ridge of the dragon's back and the dragon's horn. I used a slightly lighter brown for the leg and shoulders, and I like the way that turned out looking as well.

Sidenote: Somewhere along the line, either with this dragon or the one previous, I managed to get wunder under glue all over the face of my iron in the process of attaching the wing fabric to the square fabric. This was very annoying, because any time I would heat the iron up, it would start sticking to whatever I was ironing. So I was using a scrap to keep from getting it onto the square, but then it would stick to the scrap, so I'd have to keep unsticking... Anyways, after last using goo-gone on the tape marks from carpet on my grandma's hardwood floors, I decided there was no reason not to use goo-gone on my iron. I started out with the iron cold, and it didn't do much (glue was solid and hard and not sticky when cold); next I turned the iron on to its lowest setting, just enough to warm up the glue- and it worked like a charm! No more sticky iron! All hail goo-gone!

No comments: