Saturday, March 8, 2014

Large Lavender Afghan


This blanket turned out SO MUCH larger than I had planned. What was supposed to be a quick project became a several-months-long commitment. The trouble is, with the basketweave stitch, you do lose some of the width once you start the pattern, it gets scrunched up with the front- and back- post stitches; unfortunately, you don't lose quite as much as I anticipated. I don't know why I thought it would be so much, I've done this pattern before... but the blanket ended up huge. By the time I realized just how enormous I had set the width at, it was long past time to pull out stitches and adjust. I had already spent some serious time working on it, and had to just commit to the size.

I did the basketweave pattern for quite a while, and then I got tired of it, and had to do something else, so I added in a five row stripe of single crochet. I added another one later, separating the basketweave pattern into three equal sections. Ultimately, I like the way that turned out looking.

What I don't like, is that the blanket ended up being just not-quite square. I generally aim to make blankets that are rectangular (or actually square, because they are composed of squares), and I think it would have been nice for a large afghan to be distinctly longer one way... but I was already three one-pound skeins of baby yarn in, and I really really did not want to do another. And it's still warm and cozy and soft.

No comments: