Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Dark Scraps


This project was conceived as a way to get rid of, at least reduce, my stock of "dark" scraps (I save teeny skein remnants in either a dark pile or light pile- the light pile is easy to make baby hat brims and such out of, the dark pile tends to stick around). I did have to buy the gray yarn, but the other colors from the stripe and the border all came out of the scrap pile.

I chose to use a different stitch for the stripe, that would utilize the different colors by sending a spike from one row down into the previous row, creating a more interesting effect than just stripes layered on top of stripes. As I got closer and closer to the end (I made the smaller section of gray first, then the larger one), the gray felt like it was getting overwhelming and dreary. The dark scraps hadn't been completely decimated yet, so I decided to use some more of them to create a small, two row border. I just used a basic single crochet stitch for this, using back loops only so that the colors would be more visible, especially in the inner row.

No comments: