Monday, February 24, 2014

Harvest Hexagons


A year or two ago, I made a hexagon blanket out of some yellow wool yarn that my grandmother had given me (and given me a lot of). I gave the blanket to my sister, as she had a friend with a baby that was only wearing/using natural fibers. Apparently that baby loved the blanket, and the couple now has a second baby, who also loves their older sibling's blanket. My sister asked me if I'd be willing to work on a second blanket, for the second baby. She said she wasn't sure if Baby 2 was more attracted to the wool or the hexagons (or perhaps just Baby 1's possessions), so I decided to pick up some more wool, and revisit the hexagons.

Baby 1's blanket was yellow, but for Baby 2 I got to pick the colors, and chose to go with a leaf green and cream. I organized these hexagons in stripes, and this blanket is more rectangular than the first (if I remember right, the first ended up shaped like a large hexagon). I used some of the leftover green to go around the edge once in a single crochet border. I'm still not totally satisfied that I can't get these hexagons to lay flat, but that's something to keep working on.

No comments: