Friday, September 21, 2012

BREAKING NEWS

My old sewing machine, a Singer 6212, died yesterday. Her motor was shot. RIP, beautiful sewing machine that I got when I was 17.

Today I purchased a new (to me) machine. Montgomery Ward, UHT J1943. Monty's probably about the same age as the Singer, but he actually works.

Now I just have to get used to a totally different machine- side loading bobbins, thread that loads internally, new presser feet, new "buttonholer" foot, new bobbins (though the shop said they would exchange my old ones for me, even after I told Emmanuel I had about 15...).

I'd like to say "this will be easy! a breeze!", but the fact is that I was pretty attached to my old Singer, we'd spent a lot of time together, been at home in several different apartments, and worked on a lot of projects. Frankly, I'm still attached to her. It'll be hard to get used to a whole new machine with a whole new feel.



2 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

I find it interesting that your old machine was a "she," and your new one is a "he." Hmmmm...

maggiehlaban said...

To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought until writing this post- and even then didn't think too hard. The titles seemed to fit, and fit in with the flow of the writing, and easily differentiated the two. The Singer only became a "she" when I wrote this blog post (unlike my Binky, who always had a gender, and was always a "he"- as I think we've discussed before).