Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Basketweave

A while ago, I was browsing a craft book's* crochet section, and came across the instructions for the basketweave crochet pattern. It looked pretty neat, and the pattern seemed relatively easy, so I gave it a shot. I had to teach myself how to do front post and back post double crochet stitches (fpdc, bpdc), but I already understood the double crochet, so it wasn't so hard. You just get the project started with a row of regular doubles, then alternate fpdc and bpdc stitches in groups of threes.

Ultimately, I learned that fpdc and bpdc stitches use up a lot more yarn than your average single or double, and the cloth ends up being pretty thick. That piece sat in the project bucket, unfinished for a good year or two, through a couple moves, until I finally ripped it all out and made something else with the yarn.

Eventually I decided to resurrect the basketweave stitch in an attempt to get rid of some relatively fine stranded baby yarn that was sitting around; some yarn that I'd had an idea for at one point, and then just got frustrated with working with because I was so used to thicker yarn. At this point I'm working on a second baby blankie with this yarn (this time in green, which I have more of), and I've gotten used to the weight of the baby yarn- though it helps that this stitch pattern ends up being pretty thick.

I used a white yarn that I had for the trim, and kind of wish I hadn't. I had a limited amount of the lavender (and wasn't going to buy any more), so I had an awkwardly proportioned and small rectangle when finished- and I wanted to gain some size, and even out the rectangle. But, the white is thicker than the lavender, so it stretched the edges out, which is especially apparent at the corners.

*I highly recommend the Reader's Digest "Complete Guide to Needlework"- so much information! Good instructional illustrations! Decent photos of how the patterns should look! Some project ideas are a little dated, as is the entire macrame section, but overall, a good, comprehensive chunk of instructions.

No comments: