Monday, August 6, 2012

Net Bag

Found a pattern for a net-style bag in a crochet book that I bought at the craft store.. and I just wanted to know if I could do it! It looked neat, and I remembered having some net bags when I was a kid, two, that we used at the library to carry our books, so there was some reminiscing attached to the pattern as well.

I bought some purple cotton yarn, because it would provide a solid line, with less stretch to it (unlike poufy acrylic boucle-style yarns), as I assumed the bag would get a fair amount of stretch simply from the way it was made. The last thing I wanted was a bag that was a reasonable size when you first looked at it, but stretched down to your knees as soon as you put it on.

The pattern ended up being pretty easy! I had to adjust it a little bit, since the pattern in the book was developed for a thinner yarn, but ultimately it was just 9 half-double crochet stitches on either end, and then alternating 3 double crochets with 4 slip stitches between, working the doubles onto the previous row's slip stitches... it was pretty easy, once I got the rhythm down!

To finish it, I just sewed up the side, and then continued building half-double crochet stitches along one of the anchored ends to make the strap. When I stitched up the other side, I did the same thing, and built that strap. Then all there was to do was tie the straps into loops, and stitch in any/all loose ends!

This bag needs a home.

1 comment:

Earthbound Spirit said...

Looks neat! I'd like to copy the pattern & try it out.