Monday, June 12, 2017

Unicorn Pillow

This is the image I first fell in love with

This is where I got the unicorn pattern

I found this unicorn pattern online and I just had to make it. I was trying to come up with some reasons to not stop work on every other work-in-progress to start this new project, and of course, my bestie was no help- her eyes went all gooey and cartoon-heart-y, and she told me it didn't matter that I didn't have the right colors to make it the same as the first example I had fallen in love with, I could make it a rainbow unicorn and she'd still be in love.

She didn't know that last summer my mom had given me some large scraps of rainbow fabric, from a dress she made me as a little girl, as she packed up her and my dad's home of almost 30 years to move halfway across the country. Or that I had the perfect teal from my late grandmother's basement stash to brighten up the background. Or the princess-castle orchid fabric from the same basement that would work so well on the back of the pillow. Or that I had a ton of greys and silvers because I'd been stocking up on all the grey remnants I could find for another project I had cooking in my brain (now in progress).

Anyways, I made it. I worked on it on my birthday because I loved it. I got some white muslin to put behind the pieced top to make the colors bolder and brighter regardless of the color of the pillow inserted. I found some embroidery floss that matched the teal almost perfectly, and created different patterns of lines and dots to hold the two thicknesses together. I attached two pieces of the princess-castle orchid fabric to the back to fold over each other and hold in the pillow form, because obviously, she's going to want to wash this pillowcase and trade out pillow forms over time. I even considered a zipper close for the pillowcase, but got lazy.

No comments: