Saturday, December 26, 2015

Glove Darning



















About this time last winter, I taught myself how to darn by watching youtube tutorial videos. My first project was a small hole that had ripped in the heel of some otherwise good-condition smartwool socks, which turned out really great, and thankfully, I'm still wearing those $20 socks.

The second project was a spot on a glove thumb where the knitted material had worn out, a little trickier because the surrounding fabric was definitely worn as well. I couldn't find a good color match in normal sock yarn at the store, so I used some beige cotton (I think) yarn that I was given a couple years ago. Not a perfect match, but my then-brand new boyfriend was over the moon he didn't have to throw away his gloves.

This winter I became a glove doctor again, this time for the index finger (wearing out, like the thumb had), as well as re-anchoring the patch on the thumb to the leather, as it was becoming almost totally detached. First I made the new patch, being sure this time to anchor it to some of the stitches attaching the leather pads to the glove, and then I got some brown thread and worked it through the sewing machine holes made with the original glove stitching as well as the weave of the darned patch I made last winter.

Once again, over the moon!

No comments: