Sunday, September 14, 2014

Paperbag Princess Dragon
















On this one, I knew I couldn't get the watercolor look of the original through embroidery (or maybe I could, but I actually want to finish this project someday). I wasn't sure what I had that would get that watercolor look, and stay on the fabric through washing, so I grabbed all of my old markmaking tools from art school, and made a couple different backgrounds on a length of the extra white muslin. I was so sure the Easter egg dye was going to work- but it only made flat areas of color, and washed out completely when I washed it. My friend that helped me was so sure the colored pencil was going to wash out- but that ended up staying. Permanent markers worked as expected- they were permanent, and though the egg dye washed away, the blurring of the markers from the egg dye stayed. The winner was some fancy watercolors- the kind that come in little tubes and are not made by crayola. They looked pretty and right when I laid them down, and were mostly colorfast through the wash and dry I put them through. There was a little dulling and blurring, but little enough that I chose to go with that one.

My friend's grandma called with a trick for laying crayon colors down onto fabric the day after I did all of my experimenting. It was almost like she knew what I was working on, all the way from Texas! I don't actually have any crayons, but I might have to get some.