Monday, August 2, 2010

Emory Pillowcase

A good friend is currently in the process of getting ready to move to Atlanta for grad school, a pretty daunting venture: new city, new state, new school, new friends, new experience... For obvious reasons I can't follow along, and so I've been working on a going-away gift for her. There are a couple of purchased items that will be included in the final package, but the piece that I put the most time/effort/thought into is this pillowcase that I embroidered the edge of.

She's going into the Public Health program (Rollins School of Public Health) at Emory University, which is a really good school for that, and it was her number one choice, so she's pretty excited about that. She's already got a fleece blanket school swag item that she purchased down there when she visited (post-acceptance), and she's interested in more, so I decided to try embroidering the school logotype onto the edge of a plain white pillowcase.

The pillowcase is an item purchased at a secondhand store, and washed before I began embroidering. I printed out some source material from the internet, since I wanted this to be a straightforward copying of the logo, and then freehanded from there. I did the outline of the crest first, to get some sense for how and where the overall design was going to layout across the edging, and then worked on the insignia within as the final stitches. While not the worst/most intricate coat of arms I've ever seen, it was definitely the most daunting part of this design.

Completed in DMC #791.